The history of Mother’s Day is a complicated and, let’s be honest, not very clear one.
From religious connotations rooted in Christian churchgoers visiting their ‘mother church’ during Lent, to the American holiday which marks work started during the Civil War to teach women how to care for children and lower infant mortality rates, it definitely varies depending on who you ask.
Today, the UK uses ‘Mothering Sunday’ to celebrate their wonderful mums and grandmothers to help them feel extra special and celebrate their support and hard work throughout the year.
Whether it’s a bunch of flowers or just time spent together amid the busyness of life, it’s an opportunity to show your mother that you really do care and take notice of everything she does.
So, here’s some tips to help you make the most of Mother’s Day 2019:
- Breakfast in bed:It’s a Mother’s Day staple and one that can be done on any budget – whether you go all out with a full English or opt for something more continental, she’s sure to appreciate the gesture
- A family day:Get the kids and grandkids together and head out on the coast path for a windy walk or a stroll on the beach with the dog (we know a great place where you can stop for hot chocolate after… ahem.)
- Some pampering: Have a real think about what your mum really enjoys – is it a relaxing massage or a long soak in a tub with a view? Book your mum into her favourite hotel and make her feel extra-pampered this Mother’s Day. Make it an overnight stay and earn extra brownie points!
- A meal out: Taking your mum to her favourite restaurant will definitely put you in the good books for the next year – but if you’re planning to take her out for lunch, it’s worth booking as early as possible to avoid disappointment (and many places will be booked up already!).
- Handmade gift: This is a truly thoughtful gesture, particularly if you live long-distance and won’t actually be able to spend the day with your mum. From something as simple as a homemade card to something worthy of the Great British Sewing Bee, she’ll no doubt keep it forever.
If you’re interested in booking your mum a night away at Lewinnick Lodge or would like to enquire about booking for lunch, book online or call us on (01637) 878117.